Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Yummy Rawness (and how grows my garden .......)

I have been meaning to be a little more adventurous in making some more raw meals, and for this I needed and acquired 2 very beautiful items:


My Vitamix

My Spirooli
 It makes raw cooking so much more exciting and a lot easier.  The Spirooli makes the most gorgeous spirals out of fruit and veg and I've found I've been using it a lot more for the kids than for myself.  Apples and carrots are definitely their favourites.  But my main purpose for this was creating my own raw pasta out of zucchini - sooooooo easy.  And when softened in hot water (not boiling, as this would "cook" it) it does actually take on a lot of the characteriestics of al dente pasta.




And for a luscious raw tomato sauce to go on top, I used this recipe:

6 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 2 hours
6 chopped fresh roma tomatoes
a handful of fresh basil leaves
4 medjool dates, soaked for 2 hours
1 garlic clove
generous pinch of sea salt & splash of cold-pressed olive oil

Throw all into the Vitamix and blend till smooth.



This recipe has everything you need:  intensity from the s-d toms, the zestiness of the basil, sweetness from the dates & the depth from the garlic.  Totally delicious and you can basically use this as a dip if you wanted or just eat it straight out of the Vitamix. To go over my pasta, I warmed it gently (place the amount of tomato sauce you need in a small bowl and place that in a bowl of hot water, that comes up the side of yr first bowl.  Stir).  A meal that is not just vibrant with colour and freshness, but bursting with flavour and goodness.  Give it a try!





The other thing I cannot live without my Vitamix for, is my morning Green Smoothie.  Yes, I've become a little more adventurous with my morning juices, and am now inovlving a hearty dose of green stuff in there as well.  Kale is my first choice, and a couple of leaves in with my banana & pineapple juice and it goes a ludicrous green!



You do not taste the kale, but man, do you feel the benefits - it's like an adrenalin shot!  It is the perfect energiser to start your day with.

And now, for a progress report on my garden. 

If not for my spectacular peas, things would have been a little more dire.





I've enjoyed picking the leaves off of my kale and rocket and lettuce, but to say there's been a bumper crop, would be a massive understatement!  I haven't dared to dig out a carrot yet, and my poor leeks look quite peak-ed.  It may not be good news on that front either.  However, I have managed another capsicum off of my hard-working bush, and another glorious tomato bush has sprung up.  Maybe next winter I'll just stick with peas ......

2 comments:

  1. How much did your spiral thingy cost? Good idea with the zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can get it for anywhere between $30 & $40, with 3 diff sized blades.

    ReplyDelete